Go Back   Can-Am Alpina Club > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General Alpina talk

Site News
Latest 5 Posts Forum Author
Alpina Parts at BMW? 05-13-2022 09:35 AM General Discussion Scooter
Alpina B8 #64 of 93 Limo 05-12-2022 07:33 AM General Discussion Scooter
The Forum is Still Here! 05-10-2022 06:01 AM Off-topic Stirling
for sale - 98 b12 5.7 long in Ontario - not mine 07-02-2021 03:16 PM Alpina Wanted/For Sale Scooter
BlueBus for i-bus equipped BMWs 08-30-2020 04:22 PM General Discussion admin

Old 09-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Default Originality and collectibility

I think it is safe to say that buyers of older Alpinas and BMWs prefer manuals over automatics. But what about originality and the impact on collectibility?

For example, 20 years from now when an E30 is more collectible, will buyers pay more for a car that came from the factory as an automatic that is still an automatic, or more for a car that was later converted to a standard?

Another example might be: would you pay more for a 2002tii today if it were a converted manual or a factory automatic?

What are your opinions?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:13 AM

why not make this question a bit more general: why live with previous owners poor descision? if a mod was done right, i'd be fine with it. if the car didn't come with an option i like and it can be retrofit to factory standards, why not? i would pay extra for manual over an automatic, even if it was changed later on in the car's life, if done properly. why live with dirty farted on cloth seats if you can install a nice leather interior with heated power seats? you get my point, i don't care as much about the window sticker reflecting an old car 100%... modifications might drop the value to the collector's that love pure originality, but there is plenty more people on the market that don't care as much.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:52 PM

If I was to purchase one I personally would look for one that is still original from the factory, be it manual or automatic. If someone were to convert it to a manual then I wouldnt see a problem with that so long as it was done properly and their was some documentation to prove it was done correctly (if done at a shop). I am all for OEM-originality though. I have my E36 for modding/changing if I want to, but an Alpina I would leave as original as possible. Its like a work of art. You dont go making changes to a Rembrandt do you?

The issue I see nowadays is that the desire for a manual transmission is dieing. Less and less people are learning how to drive a manual. When I went to drivers ed all the cars were brand new Honda Civic's and they were all automatics. If you wanted to learn how to drive a manual car they stuck you in a beat up old POS.

The value will also depend on the model itself. Very few people want Touring's here in Canada so they are hard to sell regardless of manual or auto.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdriver View Post
modifications might drop the value to the collector's that love pure originality, but there is plenty more people on the market that don't care as much.
I agree with this and this is where there are two different people in the market. Those that want a car to be 100% original and those that just want something that's different and rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
If I was to purchase one I personally would look for one that is still original from the factory
This is my thought as well, but it's not everyone's thought. Personally, if I'm looking at an Alpina I want it to be 100% original. If it's an auto, then so be it. If you want to swap an auto for a manual why not just get a "normal" BMW, and slap some Alpina badges on it.