Go Back   Can-Am Alpina Club > Buy and Sell > Japan Auction Watch

Notices

Japan Auction Watch Keeping tabs on Alpinas for sale every week

Site News
Latest 5 Posts Forum Author
Alpina Parts at BMW? 05-13-2022 09:35 AM General Discussion Scooter
Alpina B8 #64 of 93 Limo 05-12-2022 07:33 AM General Discussion Scooter
The Forum is Still Here! 05-10-2022 06:01 AM Off-topic Stirling
for sale - 98 b12 5.7 long in Ontario - not mine 07-02-2021 03:16 PM Alpina Wanted/For Sale Scooter
BlueBus for i-bus equipped BMWs 08-30-2020 04:22 PM General Discussion admin

Old 03-01-2012, 10:55 AM

Default Two B6's Last Week

There were two B6's that went through last week. A silver one and a red one. The silver one didn't sell, but it went through a different auction house this week and it sold for what I would consider a bargain.

Did anyone buy either of these or consider bidding? I considered the silver one, but I'm really stretched with how many cars I already own
Old 03-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Administrator

I missed both of those. What did they go for?

I see there is a B3 2.8 Touring this week. Autobox though.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:06 PM

Yeah they were both autos. The silver one with 130,000 kms went for something like 245,000 JPY, and I think the red one went for around 450,000 JPY. I belive it had something like 65,000 km, but I'd have to check to be sure.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:16 PM

Just checked and the silver one Grade 3.5 went for 257,000 JPY and had 130,000 kms. The red one was Grade 4 with 94,000 kms and went for 450,000 JPY.

There was actually also a green one on Feb 22 that sold for only 153,000 JPY. It was Grade 4 with 129,000 kms and actually looked very clean. However, it didn't have the Alpina wheels for some reason which kept the price down no doubt.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:44 AM

Hopefully more people start coming to the forum because I'm posting some good information here. Not all auctions are the same and not all auction grading is done the same.

Here are the photos and auction sheet for the Silver B6 from earlier this week.

The car sold at this auction as I posted before. For whatever reason the car is now back at auction at HAA Kobe with the following information:

Notice anything different between the auction sheets? (Check the VIN, it's the same car). I've been screwed twice by the HAA Kobe auction house and I'll never buy a car from that auction again unless someone physically goes to look at the car for me. Look how much more information is on the auction sheet from the first auction. Lesson here is to make sure you are dealing with a good exporter in Japan (or importer). If they are good and trustworthy, they will warn you about auction houses like this. Not to say everything they sell is garbage, but their grading may be padded and they may not inspect the car very thoroughly.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Administrator

That is some awesome info Scooter. I never knew that kind of manipulation went on. Did you see how much this touring sold for earlier this week?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirling View Post
That is some awesome info Scooter. I never knew that kind of manipulation went on. Did you see how much this touring sold for earlier this week?
Yup....See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Just checked and the silver one Grade 3.5 went for 257,000 JPY and had 130,000 kms.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BulldogBros Send a message via Skype™ to BulldogBros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Hopefully more people start coming to the forum because I'm posting some good information here. Not all auctions are the same and not all auction grading is done the same.

Here are the photos and auction sheet for the Silver B6 from earlier this week.

The car sold at this auction as I posted before. For whatever reason the car is now back at auction at HAA Kobe with the following information:

Notice anything different between the auction sheets? (Check the VIN, it's the same car). I've been screwed twice by the HAA Kobe auction house and I'll never buy a car from that auction again unless someone physically goes to look at the car for me. Look how much more information is on the auction sheet from the first auction. Lesson here is to make sure you are dealing with a good exporter in Japan (or importer). If they are good and trustworthy, they will warn you about auction houses like this. Not to say everything they sell is garbage, but their grading may be padded and they may not inspect the car very thoroughly.
Didnt you know every car at HAA Kobe is a 4BB?!?
Old 12-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the tip. Do you have any recourse in a situation like that or is it 'buyer beware'?
Old 12-20-2012, 07:51 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BulldogBros Send a message via Skype™ to BulldogBros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirling View Post
Thanks for the tip. Do you have any recourse in a situation like that or is it 'buyer beware'?
Unfortunately there is no recourse in almost all cases. Auction gradings are a highly subjective thing and auction sheets are really about 75% accurate really. These guys are looking at tons of cars and its easy to overlook things.

I take auction sheets as a guideline and all machines should be inspected of course in addition. I have bought grade 3s that were generally ok and passed on grade 4.5s. That is why i get out and check cars myself or have other trusted associates who can assist at places I cant be at.

The job of any exporter is to provide you with all the information possible in order for you to make the decision as its your money they are spending. Sometimes limited info is available but the customer needs to know that upfront so they can take it into consideration.