Go Back   Can-Am Alpina Club > General Discussion > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Introduce Yourself Tell us who you are and where you're from

Site News
Latest 5 Posts Forum Author
Alpina Parts at BMW? 05-13-2022 09:35 AM General Discussion Scooter
Alpina B8 #64 of 93 Limo 05-12-2022 07:33 AM General Discussion Scooter
The Forum is Still Here! 05-10-2022 06:01 AM Off-topic Stirling
for sale - 98 b12 5.7 long in Ontario - not mine 07-02-2021 03:16 PM Alpina Wanted/For Sale Scooter
BlueBus for i-bus equipped BMWs 08-30-2020 04:22 PM General Discussion admin

Old 09-08-2017, 11:27 AM

Default Vintage AMG Owner. 3-5 Year Quail/Amelia Island Tuner Class

Hello,

Just registered for this site.

I am a passionate vintage AMG collector (cars modified by AMG before Mercedes-Benz took ownership interest/control in the 90's). In this regard, I consider pre-merger AMG to be a tuner.

As you are aware, most notable Concours shows limit cars to 1973 or so and older, despite the fact that time marches on and enthusiasts and their "dream" cars move with the calendar.

2017 marked the 50th Anniversary of AMG (1967-2017). I tried to get a class at the 2017 Quail show in Monterey, but was unsuccessful. Lack of support from Mercedes/AMG didn't help! A core group of enthusiasts still made the trek to Monterey and showed our cars at The Legends show.

Not accepting defeat, it is my belief that the major car shows in the US (The Quail, Amelia Island, Hilton Head, Pinehurst) would be very accepting to a class of Tuner Cars from the 70's/80's/and maybe 90's.

AMG, Ruf, Alpina, Koenig, Gemballa are examples of tuner marques that would be a big hit with spectators. To that end, I am reaching out to the Alpina Can Am Forum to begin this endeavor.

I am looking at a 5-year window to pull this off. My goal is The Quail and/or Amelia Island. I know enough about Alpina cars to know how special they are. AMG cars that you may know include the Hammer, Widebody SEC's, DTM EVO's. Ruf is another tuner that modified Porsches. These are the 3 main tuners for Porsche/Mercedes/BMW.

Can the Forum leaders lend assistance to this endeavor via your contacts with authentic Alpina owners? I will likewise reach out to the Ruf/Porsche crowd for their support. This could be a great way to show these special cars and promote their history. We would be shooting for high end concours events like The Quail and Amelia Island - the cars sent would need to be authentic (documented) and the best of the best. As collectors, you all know the added provenance showing our cars at an ultra high event can add to our cars value and prestige, to say the least about the acclaim and press our cars would attract.

Best,

Al Lydon
Atlanta, GA
Old 09-11-2017, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum Al.

Interesting idea that is well outside my knowledge and experience. How do you proceed to accomplish such a goal?
Old 09-13-2017, 05:49 PM

My plan is to identify potential worthy cars/owners to a group of about 10-15 cars and begin a series of communications between the owners. Discuss our cars, the history of the cars, provenance and condition. Formulate a target year to shoot for and prepare a dossier of the car's and owners to present to The Quail and Amelia Island Concours committees.

Having a desireable class complete with a pre-screened selection of stellar cars that are committed to showing our cars would be very compelling.

I have found car people are passionate and great to get to know. Special cars have great stories to tell, which applies to the owners as well.

I think this is a way to get special, newer vintage cars to be shown at premier events.

Al
Old 09-13-2017, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Ok. I'm the forum owner here, let me know how I can help, perhaps by private message.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:12 PM

Good Luck with Amelia Island. They are pretty firm on how old the car has to be (I personally know one of the people who run the show).

Instead of trying to show the cars on in the Sunday Concours, it would probably be better to do it as a group at the Saturday show, which is open to newer cars.

Also, regarding ALPINA as a "tuner" car, from the 80's ALPINA was recognized as a manufacturer, complete with their own VIN, and not a tuner.