Go Back   Can-Am Alpina Club > General Discussion > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Introduce Yourself Tell us who you are and where you're from

Site News
Latest 5 Posts Forum Author
Alpina Parts at BMW? 05-13-2022 09:35 AM General Discussion Scooter
Alpina B8 #64 of 93 Limo 05-12-2022 07:33 AM General Discussion Scooter
The Forum is Still Here! 05-10-2022 06:01 AM Off-topic Stirling
for sale - 98 b12 5.7 long in Ontario - not mine 07-02-2021 03:16 PM Alpina Wanted/For Sale Scooter
BlueBus for i-bus equipped BMWs 08-30-2020 04:22 PM General Discussion admin

Old 03-15-2017, 08:24 AM

Cool "New" B6 from Boston!

Greetings! I have just replaced my 2007 B7 (with almost 200K miles, but that is another story) with an Alpina Blue 2016 B6 with 14K miles. No new cars available within a reasonable timeframe, so I ended up buying this one from San Francisco. Had to put dedicated winter Alpina wheels on it for the Continental snows (my wonderful MA dealer went crazy over the cost but the only wheels that would fit are the Alpina wheels, and they make a much prettier picture than the aftermarket snow wheels I had on the B7). And with the weather we just had, a wise purchase. I've added a LoJack, full body XPel film, and a radar/laser/dashcam system that I don't know how to use yet (have a meeting with the installer tomorrow, for a lesson). After months of driving various loaners from my BMW dealer, and then rentals while waiting for the bling to be added, I am really happy now when I get in the car. Looking forward to some longer trips, and the end of pothole season so I can put the summer tires back on!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1835 (002) small.jpg (39.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-15-2017, 10:37 AM

Congratulations on the purchase. Car looks beautiful. What kind of interior?
How long did you have the E65 B7 for? What major issues did you encounter with that on? I guess it was a good experience with B7 when you decided to go with Alpina again.
Please do tell.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:50 AM

I got the B7 in 2009. Wasn't looking seriously for a new car yet, but there it was, at the dealer I trust, with 13K miles. Knowing that it had been maintained properly was a big selling point, and the other was that it was gorgeous, and had the short body (I find the new B7 far too big for my needs or my parking space).

For the most part it was trouble free, until this past fall. I was noticing a rare stutter, not sure what it was, until when accelerating on a highway in front of an 18 wheeler, it just would not go above 50. It is frightening to see a truck get closer and closer in the rear view mirror, with its air horn blaring, and have NO RESPONSE. Fortunately I was able to move back over to the right (and I forever thank that trucker for not running over me). Car was fine under 45 MPH, and as I was close to my dealer on back roads, I went there. I gather the fuel filter was black with guck, and after it was replaced I got the acceleration back. However, the stutter got more frequent and slightly worse, and the check engine light would go on, and after a day or two, would go off. After replacing the O2 sensor and a few other things, there were no faults stored, and the diagnosis was transmission or catalytic converter. So I decided to get the B6. I can only survive one close encounter with an 18 wheeler like that!

There is a guy in New Hampshire (Carter's European Auto) who rebuilds these cars. He had another B7 there and he bought mine - not for much, but whatever I got was helpful. I did ask him to let me know when he figures out what was wrong, and maybe he will.

The B6 looks just like the one in the BMW brochure, with the platinum upholstery. I probably spent as much on the snows, wrap, extended warranty, etc. as I saved buying (barely) used, but I think it will be worth it. (Later than) midlife crisis, I suppose (although the definition of mid life seems to be changing as I age).
Old 03-15-2017, 01:27 PM

Well its good to hear that you put on almost 200k mile before you got a new one. I think that was a nice long relationship, relatively worry free. I am sure the same will be with the new B6
Old 04-11-2017, 11:33 AM

Thought I'd give an update on the car.

First, I have had it on the road for about 10 days in over a month. I kept getting a message that the battery was discharging when parked. Turned out that the electronics are so sensitive that I needed a spare battery for the dash cam (BlackVue). And that will only supply enough juice for ~40 hours, so if I park it for a long time, it is not recording. Am told it happens with a new Mercedes, too.

Put the Alpina winter wheels and snow tires on. Apparently Germany doesn't have any potholes, because this combination gets damaged in Boston potholes. I have already bubbled one winter tire and dinged two wheels. NEVER did that with the B7 but that winter package (aftermarket) had tires with a higher profile. Come on, BMW, you can do better!

And speaking of tires - what is up with no spare? The high performance tires (winter and summer) are not run flats, which in itself is OK but they expect you to pump some goo into a flat, inflate it with a supplied pump, and get yourself a new tire. That isn't going to fly in the northeast with the potholes and the difficulty in getting these special tires in a reasonable timeframe. I almost never got punctures with the B7, but did damage the tires so that this "solution" is not a solution. So I am driving with a full size spare in the trunk - one of the summer tires during the winter, and a winter tire when the summer tires are on. And that means a serious decrease in the trunk capacity. Silly!

The heads-up display isn't working, and the horn will not blow when I lock/unlock it, even though I have gone into settings to set it to do so. So that will mean another trip to the dealer (waiting until the new tire comes in, good thing I got tire insurance!!!!!)

Curious what the guy in CA thinks about the car! And the winter tires/spare tire issue.

That said, the car IS gorgeous and fun to drive. Just not very practical!
Old 04-12-2017, 09:21 AM

And another thing or two - the height of displays related to the dash. When I am sitting in my preferred position, the bottom most display (odometer, etc) is half blocked by the ledge at the bottom of the dashboard. Now, I am about 5'7", and a woman, which means that my torso is shorter than the average man of my height. Still, I've never had this problem before. I have to sit up and forward to see the mileage. And the heads-up display is higher than I need it - I'd like it just above the dash, in my visual field, but it will not go that low, so it is blocking more of the road than I'd like.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:02 AM
Administrator

I feel your pain. My B10 BiTurbo steering wheel is smaller than stock E34, which cuts off my view of the turn signal indicators. Since the sound associated with the signal is so soft I periodically find myself driving around with the signal flashing.

Something I find very annoying in other drivers but endearing in myself. LOL.