Go Back   Can-Am Alpina Club > General Discussion > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Introduce Yourself Tell us who you are and where you're from

Site News
Latest 5 Posts Forum Author
Alpina Parts at BMW? 05-13-2022 09:35 AM General Discussion Scooter
Alpina B8 #64 of 93 Limo 05-12-2022 07:33 AM General Discussion Scooter
The Forum is Still Here! 05-10-2022 06:01 AM Off-topic Stirling
for sale - 98 b12 5.7 long in Ontario - not mine 07-02-2021 03:16 PM Alpina Wanted/For Sale Scooter
BlueBus for i-bus equipped BMWs 08-30-2020 04:22 PM General Discussion admin

Old 11-17-2013, 03:50 PM

Default Hello from Saskatoon - E36

Hey guys, I'm Cam from Saskatoon. I'm currently pursuing my second degree at the University of Saskatchewan.

I've owned and built a lot of different cars over the years, mostly Japanese cars (I've been importing from Japan for the better part of 10 years now). My current money pit is a 1991 Toyota Mark II that I have owned and built up since 2009:

When I first got it:

This is the car as it currently sits (albeit, uselessly sitting in my garage until next May):

Earlier this year I bought a 1995 240sx with a blown engine for pocket change and put a new one in with the intention it would be my daily driver for the next few years while I complete law school. I quickly realized that I was going to need something more practical, comfortable, and respectable, so I sold the 240sx and started scouring the auctions.

I decided I didn't want to daily drive a right-hand drive again, so that limited my options to European cars. Two years ago I owned a 1993 325is and loved it, so I started looking at BMW's. I was initially set on finding an E46 3 series, but none were coming up that really caught my eye.

Then one day this came up and despite being an auto, the km were low, it was mint, and had basically everything I was looking for, so I decided to try a low bid on it, and I was successful:

I realize it is not a real Alpina, but a 'replica' if you will, and on my current student budget, I couldn't pass it up. I'll wait until I'm finished law school and my budget more realistically permits me to purchase a genuine Alpina haha.

The car is scheduled to arrive in Canada in early December, so I am anxiously counting down the days.

Anyways, sorry for the long intro, but happy to be here!
Old 11-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Welcome aboard Cam, it's good to have you.

There seems to be an inordinate number of Alpina fans in Saskatechewan!
Old 11-18-2013, 06:37 AM

Well, we have the most vehicles per capita in Canada, so I suppose it isn't that surprising haha.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:24 PM

Thumbs up

Welcome Cam! The Mark II is excellent, I love that your fun car is a 4 door and you daily is a 2 door )

For E36s I think there are only 2 B3s and 2 B8s in Canada, plus a few (?) B6s and a few replicas. Yours looks pretty good as far as replicas go! The front lip, rear spoiler wheels and stripes all look correct. The wheels even have the right number of spokes - a lot of reps have 19 instead of 20. And they have the locks too, I wonder if they're actually legit Softlines? Either way have fun getting those centre caps on and off.

That 3 spoke steering wheel and the Alpina "shift knob" also look correct and those are desirable pieces. Too bad it doesn't have the gauge surround.

The M3 mirrors aren't correct for an Alpina but it is a common conversion.

Anyway it looks like a tidy E36, have fun with it!

P.S. ditch those crazy floor mats
Old 12-05-2013, 12:10 PM

Thanks!

Ugh I know, I've been doing some reading and it seems like they are a real pain in the ass. I really really hope that the keys for the center caps are somewhere in/with the car, otherwise I won't be able to put my winter tires on...

Yea I think it would be pretty difficult to get ahold of a legit Alpina gauge cluster/surround. I'm not too concerned, as you can tell by my other car, I'm not exactly a 'purist' strictly speaking.

Haha I've already ordered some winter mats for it!

The car should be home safe within a couple weeks, I can't wait.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:22 PM

A bit belated, but welcome Cam!

I think we have another member on here that has a 325i with a number of Alpina parts as well. I can't remember if he's also in SK or if he's in MB.

OMG, I'm in love with that Mark II. I'd love to get my hands on a JZX100 myself, but I can't bring myself to spend the money on what 5 spds are going for.

Wow! 10 years importing. You must have got into it just when or just before it started getting big. Who do you source your vehicles from in Japan.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:12 AM

Welcome!

It may be a replica, but its still nice! If those are legit Alpina wheels, they will be worth more then the whole car.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:32 AM

My buddy spotted yours at the docks yesterday I think.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:18 PM

Haha that's funny! That was the same day I had my friend go fetch it for me. Sure didn't look that nice after traveling the grimy salty Canadian winter roads on the truck to Saskatoon though.

So I picked it up when it arrived on the 23rd. As it was freezing out, the battery was flat, so the lady at the auto carrier depot brings out a booster pack and rests it right on top of my fender. Luckily for her it was near Christmas and I was in good spirits, so I held back from really tearing a strip off of her, but I definitely let her know how I felt. Thanks for the scratches bitch! Some people are hopeless.

It was pretty damn grimy when I got it, and half of the lights worked, the blower motor didn't work, and the Pirellis on it made for a treacherous, slow drive back home. I put it in the garage, put a charger on the battery, and didn't touch it again until the 26th, when I gave it a through cleaning and put some fresh oil in it. After charging the battery properly, all of the electrical things seemed to be working properly so I was happy about that. I was also extremely happy with how nicely it cleaned up!

I can't wait until spring to give it a proper polish and get off all the residue from sitting in Japan for so many years.

I need some daytime running lights and sidemarker lights to pass safety inspection, as well as a third brake light, so I installed some LED strips. Turned out pretty well IMO.

I also had an ABS light which required me having to disassemble the ABS pump and replace the electrical ribbon inside with 16 ga. wires as it must have degraded over time. Kind of a pain in the ass, but if that's the worst of my problems, I'm laughing. So far, this car is easily the most pristine I've ever owned (only 44,000 km on it), and drives like an absolute dream. I was also pleased to discover it came equipped with Bilstein Racing Dynamics struts and springs, a strut tower bar, and stainless braided brake lines. And a fully upgraded stereo system! Aside from a few little quirks here and there, I am absolutely in love with my new daily driver.

I also got lucky in that it came with all of the keys for the center caps! (Albeit, 3 different ones which is kind of inconvenient) As far as I can tell, these appear to be legitimate Alpina wheels. They have Alpina part numbers engraved and everything.

Scooter, I contemplated selling my JZX81 to buy a stock-ish 5 speed JZX100 to use as a drift beater. They actually aren't all that expensive, you just have to know where to look. I've purchased my cars through a number of different exporters over the years. I got this E36 through JPC Trade, and needless to say I won't be dealing with them again. Totally incompetent service. But yes, I got into it before it really became a big thing, probably around 2004 is when I imported my first car.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:04 AM

Awesome pictures!! Almost to hard to believe its a replica!

As for the DRL's, under the steering column is where the DRL relay plugs in. I have an extra DRL relay from an E36 sedan I parted out. If yours has the plug (I believe they all should) I can sell you the relay. The guy who owned the E36 Touring here in Calgary had a shop do some wierd hack job wiring setup in the fuse box and I thought it looked terrible. I rather see someone do it properly.