Can-Am Alpina Club TedFest 2015

Go Back   Can-Am Alpina Club > General Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General Alpina talk

Site News
Latest 5 Posts Forum Author
Selling 1992 E31 alpina 09-13-2017 06:01 PM Alpina Wanted/For Sale Stirling
Vintage AMG Owner. 3-5 Year Quail/Amelia Island Tuner Class 09-13-2017 06:01 PM Introduce Yourself Stirling
Anyone in Canada selling? 09-12-2017 10:53 AM Alpina Wanted/For Sale Scooter
Alpina B8 #64 of 93 Limo 08-22-2017 08:15 AM General Discussion Scooter
Potential Alpina owner here 05-18-2017 06:11 PM Introduce Yourself bmb7t

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-04-2017, 10:58 PM
brooke brooke is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Santa Rosa
Posts: 10
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default What tires will I get?

My B6 is due in 6-8 weeks. As I travel in the Sierra, it's important to have "M&S" (mud and snow) tires: the Highway Patrol considers a 4WD with these tires to be as good as chains.

All I can find anywhere is that my car will come with "all season" tires. NOBODY can tell me what that means!

Are these M&S?
  #2  
Old 01-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Scooter's Avatar
Scooter Scooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 478
Thanks: 12
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

"all season" is a very broad term to describe tires that are middle of the range or maybe low on the quality and performance end. Yes, you can get all season tires that are better quality and some will have the M+S markings, but if you are looking at a budget, I would factor in buying new tires.

I'm not really sure why, but a lot of cars that come from Japan have really old tires. Even if the tread is in good shape the tires are old and cracking, so they need to be replaced.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scooter For This Useful Post:
brooke (01-06-2017)
  #3  
Old 01-06-2017, 10:55 PM
brooke brooke is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Santa Rosa
Posts: 10
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Thanks for that. I can't believe that I can't get official word on the tires that will come on the car. I'm hoping that, given winters in North America, that the all-seasons will be M&S. Presumably BMW/Alpina will put premium tires on a $125K car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
"all season" is a very broad term to describe tires that are middle of the range or maybe low on the quality and performance end. Yes, you can get all season tires that are better quality and some will have the M+S markings, but if you are looking at a budget, I would factor in buying new tires.

I'm not really sure why, but a lot of cars that come from Japan have really old tires. Even if the tread is in good shape the tires are old and cracking, so they need to be replaced.
  #4  
Old 01-09-2017, 07:34 AM
Stirling's Avatar
Stirling Stirling is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Bay
Posts: 504
Thanks: 15
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Your dealer can't even tell you the Brand and model of tires, irregardless if they can't confirm the M+S status? That is pretty sad!
  #5  
Old 01-09-2017, 04:15 PM
brooke brooke is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Santa Rosa
Posts: 10
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirling View Post
Your dealer can't even tell you the Brand and model of tires, irregardless if they can't confirm the M+S status? That is pretty sad!
Since I just got word that the car is ready for shipping, I tried again. We shall see… I agree, they should be able to tell me at least the specs…

Edit: Nope. They "won't know until the car arrives."

Last edited by brooke; 01-10-2017 at 12:29 AM.
  #6  
Old 01-19-2017, 04:10 PM
brooke brooke is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Santa Rosa
Posts: 10
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke View Post
They "won't know until the car arrives."
This continues to annoy me. (Perhaps if they'd put her on a ship that I could follow, I'd be less irascible.)

I can understand that they use multiple sources, so as not to be caught short if one is problematic. However, that car has certain tires on it, and someone put them on it, and it's in their records, and it shouldn't be very hard to run down the info. However, someone would have to go out of their way ...
  #7  
Old 01-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Stirling's Avatar
Stirling Stirling is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Bay
Posts: 504
Thanks: 15
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke View Post
This continues to annoy me. (Perhaps if they'd put her on a ship that I could follow, I'd be less irascible.)

I can understand that they use multiple sources, so as not to be caught short if one is problematic. However, that car has certain tires on it, and someone put them on it, and it's in their records, and it shouldn't be very hard to run down the info. However, someone would have to go out of their way ...
This would be considered a failure of customer service at Sears, let alone on an expenditure of this magnitude.

Have you tried cutting BMW out of the equation and contacting Alpina directly? I've always found them extremely helpful.
  #8  
Old 02-26-2017, 06:22 PM
brooke brooke is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Santa Rosa
Posts: 10
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Perhaps to wrap up my own thread, the car is awaiting pickup. I've received some pics, and it seems that the tires are Conti Extreme Contact(?) DWS. Pretty well reviewed.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors