Go Back   Can-Am Alpina Club > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General Alpina talk

Site News
Latest 5 Posts Forum Author
Alpina Parts at BMW? 05-13-2022 09:35 AM General Discussion Scooter
Alpina B8 #64 of 93 Limo 05-12-2022 07:33 AM General Discussion Scooter
The Forum is Still Here! 05-10-2022 06:01 AM Off-topic Stirling
for sale - 98 b12 5.7 long in Ontario - not mine 07-02-2021 03:16 PM Alpina Wanted/For Sale Scooter
BlueBus for i-bus equipped BMWs 08-30-2020 04:22 PM General Discussion admin

Old 01-19-2012, 12:01 PM

Default How is Your Alpina Handling Winter

Does anyone have their Alpina on the road in the winter months? I'm guessing most people have them off the road and stored in a garage. Unfortunately, mine is outside because I don't have any covered parking. I also recently lost my off street parking spot so I had to put insurance on the car to park it on the street. This was just before we got our cold weather, and I remember thinking "oh, I should make sure it's not just water in the washer bottle." Yeah, I forgot to check and now the thing is frozen solid I hope it doesn't end up cracked or it may be a bit of an expensive mistake.

I thought I'd pop the lid and add some proper washer fluid since the bottle wasn't full (good thing). I pretty must just touched the cap and part of it broke off....SH*T!!!!! The lid should still be ok to use and everything, but it just pisses me off that I thought to deal with this before it got cold out and I didn't. Good thing I checked the coolant in all my cars though. That could have been a much bigger problem!!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:35 PM

i hear ya ryan and it sucks u dont have a garage to park your b8 in . i checked both my alpina's antifreeze and they were both only good to minus 17 so i drained both rads and refilled and ran my cars long enough to mix the antifreeze with the block and fresh stuff in the rad and both are now good to minus 35 and both are in an insulated attatched garage so im good to go .
on an off topic i bought a bmw cd43 head unit to replace the useless after market one it came with . i love it , its oem direct fit that is an in dash cd instead of the cassette deck . ill post pics once i get it
Old 01-20-2012, 06:30 AM

Sorry to hear about your problem and that you have to drive your Alpina in winter and park in street. Perhaps you could arrange and find an underground parking spot and or sometimes people who don
Old 01-20-2012, 07:18 AM

That's a good idea AlpinaMan, but as far as I know all strata properties require you to have a certain amount of insurance on your car. By the time I do that I might as well have insurance on it to have it on the road. The biggest problem out of all of this is where I live. Vancouver is too damn expensive!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint View Post
on an off topic i bought a bmw cd43 head unit to replace the useless after market one it came with . i love it , its oem direct fit that is an in dash cd instead of the cassette deck . ill post pics once i get it
Yeah, I'd like to see pics of how that looks when you get it installed. I picked up a stock cassette player for a BMW which was a bit difficult to get for a decent price actually. When I pulled out the Sony unit that's presently in there I noticed that they hacked up the harness Now I have to find an OEM harness to re-splice in. The reason why I picked up an OEM head unit is because the car has to be OEM for me to register it as a collector car.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
That's a good idea AlpinaMan, but as far as I know all strata properties require you to have a certain amount of insurance on your car. By the time I do that I might as well have insurance on it to have it on the road. The biggest problem out of all of this is where I live. Vancouver is too damn expensive!!!!

Well, I believe Toronto is the most expensive city in all Canada, and I have full insurance on all my cars even though they are stored in winter (6 Cars) except one that is stored at KillerPM’s underground parking spot, which only have fire and theft, however to protect my Alpinas and other collectable BMWs from the winter weather I have been trough many expense that is not even funny if I least the costs. And I am sure many people here are doing the same thing. Also the insurance rate in Vancouver is very little compare to Toronto’s insurance rate.

Last edited by Stirling; 01-20-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:58 AM

Oops, I should have elaborated. Insurance costs, yeah, I think we actually have it pretty good in BC (as much as everyone complains). When I said expensive I should have said housing prices. Therefore, I can't afford to buy a place let alone a place that has a garage or even a car port to keep my car(s) out of the weather.

Wow 6 cars! I thought I was bad at 4 cars! LOL
Old 01-20-2012, 10:21 AM

Hahahahahaha, I didn't even included my wife's car.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:13 PM

My B10 is garaged for the winters but that doesn't mean I stop getting the itch to drive it now and then. I like to take it out once a month or so that way I won't have a dead battery from sitting too long. I have to wait till the roads are clear and dry before I bring it out. Also when I do bring it out I have to be very very careful. The summer tires on the car like to break free easily at cold temperatures.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:10 PM

Hey Trevor, long time no see! Glad to see you still have your B10.
My car is also stored for the winter. I usually take the insurance off just leaving fire & theft.

Cheers,
Peter

Last edited by Orvis; 02-26-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orvis View Post
Hey Trevor, long time no see! Glad to see you still have your B10.
My car is also stored for the winter. I usually take the insurance off just leaving fire & theft.

Cheers,
Peter

Hi Peter!
Yes, long time no see. Hope all is well with you, your family and the car. Perhaps this June we should bring our B10s to the BMW show & shine again.