View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 08:21 PM

When I was learning to read, my father would bring home brochures from the BMW/Porsche/Audi dealer. They had lots of photos and thick paper. I wasn't the most careful with them, as I was three. That said, the one that got the most use was the full line brochure for the 1988 model year. It had a two-page deal on the E28 M5 and I spent more time on those two pages than anything else.

I'll spare the long version of the story, but I bought an '83 533i in college. Loved the car. It did everything I wanted to do and it was just a great car. It was quite advanced for 1983, particularly with the check control and the OBC. It's funny to say that it was advanced then in the way BMWs are advanced today. The difference being that this one still gives you a visceral driving experience. Excellent visibility, handling that bests nearly any other car it's size, loads of usable space, etc. A very practical car that can be driven at the limit with relative ease.

I lost that 533i to an E36 convertible in May, 2007, so I went searching for another 533. Nice cars were few and far between when I was looking. Several months later, I bought an '87 535is in September, 2007. I more-or-less settled on that car, though I was drawn by full records and just a well-cared-for car. I added another '83 533i in December, 2008. I bought an E34 touring a year later, an E12 M535i in April, 2010, an E28 M535i in November, 2010 and my Alpina B7Turbo in April, 2011. I parted out my 535is in July, 2011 after 85,000 miles and many thousands in "upgrades." In August, 2011, I added a second E12 M535i because it was available.

I enjoy the E12 chassis, but the E28 is a huge step forward despite being virtually the same car from windscreen to windscreen. The chassis is better - it's more solid, more responsive. Sure, whatever you tell the E12 to do, it will, but the E28 will do it just that much better - enough to where it's noticeable.

For me, it falls apart at the E34. I bought a touring because it was a rare color, had a few neat things and it was cheap compared to the market (needed a radiator). I figured that they were a neat car, and useful - I've grown up with Volvo 245s, which swallow lots of stuff. I found that yeah, it's a BMW and yes, it's a wagon, but it's a compromise. I don't feel that way as much these days having driven enough sedan E34s to remain sufficiently bored for the next decade. The touring isn't as rigid (what with the big gaping hole between the rear shock towers), but it handles nicely and is a nice, comfortable car. It's no E28 though. I get back into the E28 and it's a totally different experience. I feel more connected. I feel more like I'm a bigger part of the experience. The car is louder, lighter, more responsive. I also think it's more attractive.

I guess all that I said is summed up by saying they're probably the best car ever made. I don't know of any that are as versatile and rewarding. They have a quirky styling that's just beautiful. It's very functional. Looks like it's going 100 mph standing still.

I couldn't imagine being without an E28.