View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Toronto View Post
... in addition to Roy's e28's, there's a boat load of great examples south of the border, such as Matt's M5.
Why thanks, Mark, I'm humbled.

Sterling, I am relatively new to the BMW ownership but fell for them years ago as a kid living in Brussels, Belgium. The neue klasse were that, and as a boy I thought they had style! My friend has an e9 with M30 conversion and raced one here locally in SCCA events. My son was enamoured by the e28 so when I finally cut the umbilical cord to my '50s and '60s Ford/Chevy rides we bought our first BMW - an '87 535is. I liked it and figured if it was good, the M5 must be great. So I bought Jeff Tripps! The e28 M5 is a lovely mix of style, power and handling. I'm older now and have a 'Super Saloon' fits my lifestyle quite nicely.

I also have an e30 325 Cabrio. The two are quite different in driving experience, but I like them both. The little M-Tech convertible turns more heads than the M5. Go figure It handles well but is a smaller vehicle and perhaps even slightly under-powered. The two doors have cachet though, that the Saloon can't.

I'm hooked on the e28 now and would like to try the tuner variants, especially the Alpina. I have even considered putting my cars on the market one day so I have an Alpina war chest. I'd also like to use the e28 chassis for a street ride build. Not as extreme as Sia's but something along the lines of an S38/turbo drivetrain with a modernized suspension and braking structure. The nice thing about the e28 right now is that they're quite affordable and plentiful (Alpina excepted) and parts are too. I hope that many find dry long-term storage and don't get crushed.

I should try driving some of the other models you mention. My experience with the e24 M6 was underwhelming. A nice car with similar power range to the M5, but it felt 'bigger' or 'heavier' or something I've not been able to put my finger on exactly and visibility seemed limited. Strange because I've always been a sports coupe guy and thought that once I'd had an M6 I'd be hooked, but it just didn't turn out that way.

Thanks for the opportunity to talk about MyE28!