View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmitchell View Post
I assume this is the same JJJames with the nice Dakar euro spec M3? You can't have that and an Alpina

I mostly agree with what LordVader is saying, although that particular B6 probably isn't a good indicator of Alpina values overall. At least to me it wasn't the most desirable model. The B6 2.8 was a bit of a lower spec model to start with. And it was also Auto (but not switchtronic), regular seats, no digital gauges, etc. It did sell about a week ago, but no idea for how much.

One other thing I'd caution you about if you're thinking about picking up an Alpina is insurance. I had trouble getting insurance on mine here in Ontario, ended up with specialty insurance through Hagerty which isn't a viable option if you want to daily the car.
Yep, thats me - if the insurance thing is a deal breaker then you may be right!

The B6 Touring has some advantages which suit me - I'd want to daily the car, and the fact that its an auto makes that easier, plus the fact that the the engine size remained relatively small, and so many of the components (at least those that wear out) are shared with a standard 3 series mean it wouldn't necessarily be a particularly expensive car to run. Plus, though its not as highly spec'd as some other Alpina's out there, cams, exhaust, software, pistons, suspension, brakes, wheels and the various cosmetic touches is enough for me!

The insurance thing worries me though - would you mind elaborating on what the problem was with insuring your car?